In Japanese the “ORI” in SAORI means “weaving”.
The “SA” of SAORI has the same meaning as the Zen word “SAI”. It means that everything has its own individual dignity.
Developed in Japan almost 50 years ago by Misao Jo, SAORI philosophy & techniques:
- Have inspired weavers & artists worldwide for over 40 years
- Provoke excitement for creating uncommon freestyle woven fabrics
- Encourage intuitive, individual creativity
- Bring joy to both those who weave & those who receive the woven gifts.
SAORI is practiced worldwide by a varied community of over 40,000 weavers including:
Artisan hand-weavers, textile artists & craftspeople
Art therapists & wellbeing practitioners
Textile & fashion designers
Many people with severe physical, mental or learning disabilities.
4 Slogans of SAORI
- Consider the differences between a machine & a human being
- Be bold & adventurous
- Look out through eyes that shine
- Inspire one another, & everyone in the group.
Benefits of SAORI
SAORI is a wonderful way to manage your health and enhance your sense of wellbeing.
It inspires positivity and happiness and a sense of personal achievement and belonging.
SAORI encourages creative exploration and freedom in weaving.
SAORI allows you to follow your heart and work mindfully in the present.
You can respond instinctively and intuitively expressing ideas as they come to you.
Weaving with colour and texture can raise your mood.